Which Brand of Essential Oils is Best?
Disclaimer: this post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through such links will result in a small commission for me (at no extra cost to you.)
If you are an essential oil newbie, you might be wondering what they are and why are they so great. Essential oils are concentrated aromatic liquids which are extracted from certain varieties of flowers, fruits, herbs, trees, leaves and grasses. There are literally hundreds of these oils and they have various uses from killing germs to clearing up acne and everything in between. They are so powerful that just a few drops will do the job. If you want to learn more details about essential oils, The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy by Valerie Ann Worwood is an invaluable resource.
The hard part, when it comes to essential oils, seems to be choosing a brand. With so many options on the market today, the possibilities seem endless. Between Direct Sales essential oil companies, web based companies, and local health food stores, you definitely have your pick. In the final analysis, is there one that is superior to the others? The information out there is overwhelming, to say the least! Here are a few ways I use to help make the decision easier:
- Listen: When someone tells you the one they use is the best, listen to what they have to say. There are lots of amazing stories out there of how essential oils have helped people and they are not to be discredited. But also consider the source. Do they have something to gain from selling you the one they like? Have they tried any other brands? If you have the time and want to know more, THIS is an amazing lesson.
- Read: Turn into an information junkie. Read all you can about essential oils. There is no shortage of information out there. Books, articles, webinars, testing results, you name it, it is all important to the process of choosing. THIS blog has an interesting study on essential oils. Facebook groups are another great information source. Essential oils are a hot topic right now and people are talking. Adrienne over at Whole New Mom has an indepth series on why she chose to use the brand she does. It is worth a look in my opinion.
- Talk: Call the company of the oils you are interested in. Find out about their sourcing and quality standards. They should be able to provide you with material safety data sheets from testing they have done, including third party testing.
- Test It: Compare a few different brands and smell them all. The book I recommended above also suggests a blotting paper test. Oils that are pure will saturate the paper and then evaporate and disperse.
- Try: Of course, all essential oils have different uses and are going to affect everyone a bit differently. But if the one I choose, does what I want, then I am happy.
After a great deal of research and reading I have found that for me (personally) there isn’t a perfect brand.* No one company has the best oils. As I have said in previous articles, I have friends who sell Young Living and doTerra. That has allowed me to try quite a few of their oils and while I do like them, I think that the way they are sold makes them more expensive than they would be otherwise. I also order from Plant Therapy and Rocky Mountain Oils. And, in the health food store, I occasionally grab NOW or Aura Cadia. Don’t take my word for it, though. Try one or try them all to see what works for you. Hopefully, in the future, we will see tighter guidelines and regulations set on oils so that this process isn’t as difficult.
**UPDATE- As of April 2017 I have made a decision to be a wellness advocate for doTERRA essential oils. This was not a decision I took lightly. Read my reasoning behind it HERE and why I felt it was the best essential oil for me and my family.**
Which brand(s) of essential oils have you tried and what has been your experience? I look forward to hearing from you!
Until next time,